Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Girl in White Sunglasses


Ten minutes later I was squatting upon the grey stone steps leading into a noisy street pub in Sandown’s winding high street both my head and leg was throbbing and numb and I was grasping a bottle of ‘Lemonade’ in one hand and a bag of crisps in the other. And looking into the small spotty face of a girl in white plastic sunglasses who was unyielding in her stare whilst sucking loudly on a ice lolly.

‘Where are you staying?’ Said the spotty girl her cheeks drawing into meet one another, as she continued to suck the life from her ice lolly.

Too embarrassed to reply I shook my head and shrugged at the same time..
Intrigued, she lifted her sunglasses with one hand and laughed. ‘Where?’

‘East Cowes’ I mumbled and almost immediately took a long swig from my ‘Lemonade’ which fizzed and exploded in my mouth causing me to splutter and choke loudly.
For a moment there was an incredulous silence between us but as the last of the lemonade was dribbling off my chin her ice lolly slid from it’s stick dropping with a wet kiss onto the pavement at her feet. As though on cue, we both burst into spontaneous laughter as we watched the ice quickly runway in a orange sticky stream into the gutter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home